If you can find (or grow) them, use sturdy rosemary branches, stripped of leaves, as skewers for these Italian salmon kebabs; they’ll add a subtle, smoky flavor that hints of pine. Oil your grill well to prevent sticking, don’t move the kebabs around unnecessarily and keep a close eye on the fire to avoid flare-ups.
Yield: 4 servings, 2 skewers each
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
To Make Ahead: Prepare the skewers (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Proceed with grilling (Steps 1 & 3) when ready to serve. | Equipment: Eight 12-inch skewers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound center-cut salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine rosemary, oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add salmon; toss to coat. Alternating the salmon and tomatoes, divide among eight 12-inch skewers.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the skewers, carefully turning once, until the salmon is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total. Serve immediately.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Tips: How to skin a salmon fillet: Place skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip a long knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
- To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Don’t use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 246 calories; 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat, 6 g mono unsaturated fat); 67 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 211 mg sodium; 598 mg potassium
© 2009 EatingWellInc.com Photo: Ken Burris