Healthy Eating is Fun and Easy!
(Please note: this fact sheet is specifically written for kids, not adults)
1. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can.
- Your body needs at least 5 servings a day – the more the better!
- They all have very special powers that can keep you strong and healthy, but there are some that are absolute superstars.
- The healthiest fruits – berries, cherries, plums, cantaloupe, all citrus fruits, kiwi, red grapes, and mangoes.
- The healthiest veggies – broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, spinach, collards, brussels sprouts, dark green lettuces, tomatoes, asparagus, winter squash
- How to get 5 servings a day:
- Always have 2 fruits at breakfast (a cup of juice can count as one)
- Snack on fruit and raw veggies
- Always have a fruit or veggie at lunch
- Always have 2 veggies at supper
2. Drink the “make me healthier” drinks
- Water – 2/3’s of your body is made of water. Water is one of the most important and most healthy things to drink!
- Other drinks that can also make you healthier are: low-fat or skim milk, soymilk, and 100% fruit or vegetable juice.
- Soft drinks and juices with added sugar are unhealthy drinks – it is best to not drink them at all!
3. Know the dangers of junk foods and do not eat them very often.
- Examples of junk foods – fried fast foods like hamburgers and chicken nuggets, sugary cereals, cookies, cakes, donuts, corn chips, potato chips, Lunchables™.
- Junk foods are filled with things that can damage your body like too much sugar, too much saturated fat, and too much trans fat.
4. Never skip breakfast!
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for your health and brain power.
Copyright 2010 Just Wellness, LLC
About this tip sheet
This tip sheet was created by Ann Kulze M.D., a well-respected physician and nutrition expert. Dr. Kulze is also a member
of the Prevent Cancer Foundation’s Board of Directors. This tip sheet has been edited for adherence to recent findings by
the Foundation’s Programs staff.
All information on this tip sheet should be considered general health information published to aid the reader in their
personal quest for holistic wellness. Our goal is to support readers in maximizing their wellness and vitality.