The Vice President of Development and Marketing (VP) will lead, manage and implement all fundraising and external communications activities that build visibility, impact and financial resources to support short- and long-term strategic goals. The VP serves as a front line fundraiser and is responsible for all aspects of the fundraising programs and initiatives, from strategic planning through execution. The ideal candidate will have proven experience building the infrastructure to successfully manage this scope of work, including demonstrated experience collaborating on a small team and managing staff and consultants to support the organization’s goals.
The Vice President of Development and Marketing manages all development and external affairs staff members and works closely with the President, Senior Vice President, Foundation divisions and outside consultants to accomplishment organizational fundraising and marketing goals and objectives as follows:
1. Spearhead the layout and execution of a strategic communications and marketing plans using both traditional and digital media to augment fundraising efforts.
2. Planning, development, and implementation of fundraising programs to identify, cultivate, solicit and acknowledge the Foundation’s broad range of individual donors and prospects, with a major focus on individual major gifts, foundation gifts and planned giving, and manages a diverse group of development professionals.
3. Serve as a member of the Foundation’s Management Team whose purpose is to provide strategic direction for the organization and to ensure that staff members are working toward the same goal.
4. Oversee the creation of consistent messaging across the organization that promotes the Foundation’s mission, vision and fundraising needs.
5. Research, design and implement a comprehensive major donor program, which would identify, cultivate and solicit gifts, with a focus on individual gifts – from both current and prospective donors.
6. Direct the implementation and expansion of effective means of monitoring and evaluating fundraising and marketing efforts.
7. Work with the Senior Vice President, Development staff and outside financial planning consultants to enhance the planned giving program by identifying and soliciting prospective donors.
8. Solicits contributions on behalf of the organization. Individual solicitation and stewardship of donors for upgraded and planned gifts, through various vehicles including, but not limited to, bequests, charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder and lead trusts. Keeping abreast of planned giving vehicles and network with and cultivate financial planners, attorneys, trust officers and planned giving consultants.
9. Cultivate new and expand existing partnerships that extend the reach of the Foundation and increase revenue, brand awareness, reputation and relevance.
10. Oversight of special events including Annual Gala, Health Fair and 5k and beneficiary events.
11. Works with Senior Director, Corporate Relations and Compliance to develop successful foundation, NGO and government prospect research and proposals for grant opportunities whose funding guidelines match the Foundation’s programs.
12. Develop and implement plans to grow the Foundation’s online giving program.
13. Develops the strategic plans for the Foundation’s annual fundraising initiatives.
14. Oversight of the Development Committee.
15. Maintain confidential files on major and planned giving donors and prospects.
16. Manage and supervise a diverse group of development professionals and outside vendors.
17. Develop strong understanding of the Foundation’s mission and programs, maintaining productive relationships with all divisions to craft messages for potential sponsors and partnerships.
18. Develop message strategies and to produce cultivation/stewardship materials for donors and prospective donors.
19. Work with staff, to prepare and manage the division’s fiscal year budgets. Assures sound fiscal operation including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of charitable contributions income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation.
20. Develop, manage and mentor a cross-functional team to support a culture of excellence, accountability and teamwork.
21. Oversight of the Foundation database, Raiser’s Edge. Works with the Managing Director, Finance and Administration to implement and maintain a high-quality donor management system capable of tracking and reporting all prospect and donor activity. Directs the development of dashboard reports that track key indicators. Ensures donor information is effectively and efficiently maintained, prospect cultivation activity is appropriately tracked and relevant staff are sufficiently trained.
22. Manages a portfolio of targeted donors including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. Develops and executes individualized development plans for significant donors and prospects-including the effective involvement of volunteers and senior leadership.
23. Leads the development of solicitation materials, marketing materials (e.g. annual report), and other event, conference and development collateral materials.
24. Selection of vendors to oversee the Foundation’s direct mail program.
25. Work with President and Founder, as needed, on all of the above.
Education and/or Experience
1. Bachelors Degree required
2. Minimum of 7 years experience in Development and Marketing. Management and budget skills a must, health experience a plus
3. Proven track record in individual and planned gifts
1. CFRE Certification required.
2. Demonstrated experience and confidence in asking people to contribute time and money. The individual is expected to be a highly competent enabler of volunteers and staff.
3. Outstanding communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
4. Willingness to travel.
5. Ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making skills.
7. Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel. Familiarity with Raisers Edge a plus.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Manager, Programs Administration, is a full-time early-career professional position. As part of the dynamic Programs Division team, the Manager supports the mission of cancer prevention and early detection across the diversity of programs in research, education and community outreach. The manager also serves as a resource for suggesting resources needed at community and workplace events planned by all divisions across the Foundation. Core responsibilities include communications with internal and external audiences, generation of documents (reports, spreadsheets and presentations), Internet research and literature reviews, maintenance of electronic files, and support of planning and implementation for a national professional conference and workshop; special projects and other duties as assigned.
The salary is $46,000 with a good benefits package.
Bachelor’s degree and two or three years’ experience in administrative support of a small group of professionals.
Strong verbal and written communication; familiarity with use of data; good initiative and follow-through; and strong organizational, problem-solving and interpersonal skills. Good grasp of Office 365 and some experience with Survey Monkey, online registration systems and social media platforms. Spanish-language skills a plus.
Email cover letter with salary history and attached resume to Karen.Peterson@preventcancer.org with Subject: Manager, Programs Administration. Deadline to apply is Monday October 14, 2019. The Prevent Cancer Foundation is located near the King Street Metro stop in Old Town Alexandria, VA; no moving allowance is available. For further information about the Foundation, go to www.preventcancer.org. Please, no phone calls.