This description incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned may also be performed and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs.
Summary of Position
The Communications Manager will assist in spreading the message of cancer prevention and early detection with the general public and other targeted audiences, as specified. The Manager will assist with creating a strategic communications plan to build public awareness of the Foundation’s activities and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and oversee the Foundation’s general editorial calendar, ensuring communications are timely and accurate.
- Develop social media, email and online advertising campaigns that help achieve Foundation marketing goals, including campaigns for funding or engagement. In consultation with the Managing Director of External Affairs, coordinate and implement the social media efforts of the Prevent Cancer Foundation®, increasing the Foundation’s presence and brand recognition.
- Work with the Managing Director of External Affairs and Director of Education Marketing on creating plans and setting timelines for strategic communications and content for event, conference and campaign communications.
- Responsible for creating and distributing communication for all divisions, including the e-newsletter, event and conference promotions and other communications via email and social media as requested. Work closely with Development team on the creation of donor emails and communications.
- Create timely and informative content on an ongoing basis for the Foundation blog, which includes working with the Externals Affairs team, all divisions, the CEO, the Medical Advisory Board and researchers.
- Act as the project manager and assistant editor of the Foundation’s signature print and digital publications and collateral materials. Publications include, but are not limited to, the annual report and quarterly newsletter.
- Assist in the development of speeches and talking points.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase awareness and donations across all communication platforms.
- Assist in representing the Foundation as necessary in advocacy-related coalitions, campaigns and various public health events. Travel 10%.
- Serve as content editor for the Foundation, including but not limited to digital, print and social media communications.
- Assist in the development of Foundation education materials.
- Conduct research and review guidelines and statistics on cancer to keep Foundation materials, website and blogs up to date.
- Perform special projects as requested.
- Preferred: create social assets as needed, including graphics and video content.
- BA/BS with at least 3 years related experience.
- Strong interpersonal, administrative and organizational skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Superior knowledge of AP Style.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and decision-making.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with Online Express email marketing software or similar platform and the WordPress Content Management System.
- At least 2 years’ experience in social media management (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Experience working in a health-related nonprofit organization preferred.
- Experience using social graphic software, such as Canva, is a plus. Proficiency using Adobe Suite is a plus.
Salary range is $50,000-$55,000. To apply, email your cover letter and resume to Lisa Berry Edwards, Managing Director of External Affairs, at Lisa.Edwards@preventcancer.org. Put “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls.