Published on July 25, 2018
Summer is prime vacation time, which means a chance to escape the daily grind and enjoy some time off. It can be easy to adopt a “treat yourself” mentality on vacation, but indulging in too many unhealthy choices can increase your cancer risk. Here are some tips for staying healthy while having fun:
• It can be tempting to stock up on gas station or airport snacks, increase portion sizes and sacrifice nutrition while on vacation. Avoid the temptation by planning ahead and giving yourself healthier options. For road trips, pack a cooler with fresh fruits and veggies and other nutritious and delicious snacks (think pretzels, hummus, yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, etc.). Instead of fast food for lunch, pack sandwiches for a quick, filling and healthy substitute.
• When eating out, be mindful of portion control and nutritional content and try to opt for healthier options. Red meat, overly-processed foods and foods loaded with sodium and sugar can clog your arteries and raise your blood pressure, increasing your risk for some cancers. Seafood, chicken and salads with protein are all smart—and delicious—choices.
• Lounging around is great, but try to find a balance between relaxing and staying active. If you spend one day hanging by the pool, spend the next day going kayaking, hiking, paddleboarding or biking to keep your crew active.
• Even when you’re not exposed to direct sunlight all day, be sure to apply sunscreen to protect yourself and your loved ones from harmful UV rays. UVA and UVB rays have both been linked to skin cancer, so no matter where your vacation spot is, play it safe and use a broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.
• Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water is to humans as oil is to cars—it’s the lubricant that keeps all of our essential functions running. Wherever you go, pack water (opt for reusable and refillable bottles whenever possible) to keep everyone fully hydrated. If you want a splash of flavor, feel free to add lemon, mint, cucumber or orange to jazz up your H2O!
Keep your vacation fun and fresh by staying conscious of your choices. What are your favorite tips for staying healthy on vacation? Drop a comment below and let us know!